Fresh handmade black bean burgers are a far cry from the frozen pucks you get in the store. These are thick, juicy, and fresh. Spicy them up or down to your family's liking.
Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 30 mins, Total Time: 45 mins.
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 eggs (yup, whisk them together and take out about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2/3 cup brown rice panko (just smash some rice crispies!)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado slices
- Green leaf lettuce
- Red onion
- Whole wheat brioche buns
Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4" thick slices (leave skin on)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Start roasting sweet potatoes:
Slice sweet potatoes into rounds, lightly coat with avocado oil, spread evenly on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and chipotle chili powder. Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft, flipping once halfway through cooking.
Divide black beans in half, smash one-half of the beans with a fork until soft. Leave the other half intact, as it creates good texture within the burgers. Combine all ingredients for the burgers in a large bowl, mix well to incorporate. Divide mixture into 4 or 5 burgers, and make into patties. NOTE: Black bean burgers don't behave like meat, so they won't shrink the same way. Form patties nice with a nice consistent thickness so they cook evenly.
Preheat a skillet to medium, adding a touch of avocado oil. Cook burgers for about 8 minutes per side, depending on thickness. They are delicate, so flip gently and only once! When crusty on the outside, and hot throughout...they're done!
Build burgers on buns (or eat them nekked!) topping with avocado, red onion, lettuce!
Serve with roasted sweet potatoes on the side.