Blue Sailor Fruit Salad
Well, I'm not going to lie. I have NO IDEA why Cooper wanted to call this dish 'Blue Sailor Fruit Salad.' Four year olds are sweet, funny, frustrating at times, and sometimes just WEIRD! :) We love our weirdness, and I said 'ok, great!' when he told me what he wanted to name this dish. Enjoy!
BLUE SAILOR FRUIT SALAD:
- 1 apple, cut into 1" or smaller pieces, skin on
- 1 banana, sliced
- 6 strawberries, cut in half or quarters
- 6 blackberries, if large, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, full fat
- 1 tablespoon organic, unsweetened keifer
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 pinch allspice or cinnamon
In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Then pour over fruit and mix well. Enjoy immediately!
Kids can begin to use knives at age 4 in my opinion. Pick one that is sharp (yes!!) because dull knives pose much more of a risk of slipping. You'll have to guide their hands at first, core an apple first, or the like. However, you'll get a feel for what they can do. Cooper washed, peeled, and cut all of his own fruit for this particular dish. Also, he measured all ingredients, mixed, and taste tested along the way.
Get in the kitchen with your kids! See what they come up with, and yes they'll make a mess...but what a great opportunity to talk about cleaning up with them ;). Cheers!